7.27.2014

Ricky Davis: 21-32 from the Floor?

11/11/04

It sounds too good to be true, but entering last night's game against Portland, Ricky Davis led the Celtics in field goal percentage. By a long shot. In games against Philadelphia, Indiana, and New York, Davis went 21 for 32 from the floor (66 percent). He ranks fourth in the league. The high shooting percentage has allowed Davis to average 18.7 points per game (second on the team to Paul Pierce) on 10.7 attempts per game. Granted, the regular season is very young, but Davis's patience and judicious shot selection remains a pleasant and welcome surprise.

"Oh, really?" said Davis when told of his statistical lead in the shooting percentage category. "I knew I was shooting it pretty good. I guess now I'm a little aware of it. I haven't really been worried about it. I've been getting good looks in spots where I'm comfortable shooting the ball. It's just been going in for me. It's about getting to the basket and I've been working on my jumper so those shots are getting easy."

Party time?

If Kendrick Perkins had one wish as he celebrated his 20th birthday yesterday, it might have been more playing time. The second-year big man is averaging a team-low eight minutes per game. But despite turning 20, Rivers made it clear just how young Perkins is in NBA terms, noting that rookie Al Jefferson will turn 20 Jan. 4.

"We forget how young Kendrick is," said Rivers. "We look at Al and say, 'My goodness, he's so young. But so is Kendrick Perkins. At the end of the day, I think they're both going to be better than good players in this league. It makes you feel good as a coach to know you have those two young guys sitting on your bench and you look at your future. I look at our future and it's pretty bright. It's nice that we have size coming in our future."

West on mend

With upcoming games in his hometown of Washington, D.C., and his college town of Philadelphia, rookie point guard Delonte West is doing whatever he can to speed up the healing process on his fractured right thumb. Straight-faced, West claimed he talked to the hand after practice Tuesday and said, 'You're OK.' In all seriousness, West said his right thumb felt "201 percent better" last night than it did Tuesday. He will have the injury X-rayed Monday and hopes to be cleared to play shortly after that, possibly in another week, which would put him on track for seeing his first action in Washington. "It feels great," said West, a naturally lefty. "I changed the splint and I was actually able to do a little dribbling with it. I'm still favoring it. But I can shoot a little with my right hand. I'm hoping in another week it will be about time to play." ... Rivers offered a medical update on Pierce, who played despite pain from seven hours of dental surgery Monday. Running up and down the court continues to create discomfort in Pierce's mouth, but Rivers figured the soreness wouldn't hinder any trash-talking. "It never has with anybody," said Rivers. "That will still continue." ... The Celtics will sponsor Champions for Children's, a dinner and auction Nov. 16 to benefit Children's Hospital in Boston. The team will be represented by Dana Barros, Bob Cousy, Mal Graham, and Rick Weitzman, as well as members of the ownership group.

No comments: