4.20.2016

Bird Talks Begin



Summer 1983

Celtics general manager Red Auerbach and Bob Woolf, agent for Larry Bird, both said things went well yesterday in preliminary discussions for a contract that will keep the star forward in Boston. "We hope to get Bird signed for 10 years so that he'll always be a Celtic," said Woolf.

Bird has said he will become a free agent next year unless a new deal is worked out before the start of the season. Auerbach reported that discussions with free agent M.L. Carr also went well. "I'll think about the Celtics' offer over the weekend and then make a decision," said Carr, who also has an offer from the Cleveland Cavaliers to consider.

FERNSTEN'S FOLLIES

Don't look for Eric Fernsten at Auerbach's rookie camp that starts in Marshfield tomorrow night. The 6-foot-10 veteran center/forward, who was cut from the Celtics last October, has not taken a physical and plans to play in Rick Robey's golf tournament in Lexington, Ky.

"They (the Celtics) called me 15 minutes before my appointment for a physical and I told them I couldn't make the appointment," said Fernsten. "I have to work to pay a lot of bills I couldn't pay last year.

"Besides, I hadn't planned on being there (Marshfield) the way it was written. I can't because I'm not under contract. And you can't go into camp without a contract, especially knowing how well their medical staff takes care of people." The league arbitrator has yet to rule on a grievance Fernsten filed againstthe Celtics last fall. He claims he was injured with a hernia when he was cut. Would Fernsten drop his grievance if he returned to the Celtics?

"If they wanted to get me to camp and sign me properly, yes." The Celtics developed new interest in Fernsten when Robey was traded to Phoenix, leaving rookie Greg Kite as Robert Parish's backup (Boston prefers Kevin McHale at forward). Fernsten, who'll be 30 in November, is also talking with the Knicks and the Nets.

No comments: