5.29.2016

Ainge Tells Tony Allen he was Dealt for #2 Pick


June 29, 2005
WALTHAM The Celtics hosted their now traditional draft party last night at the Sports Authority training center. The festivities officially started when executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge stepped to the podium for a draft preview. Ainge silenced the crowd by joking he had traded Tony Allen for the No. 2 pick. Allen wasn't sure what to make of the announcement. After a couple of moments, Ainge finally said, "I'm just messing with you. Sometimes our guys get too full of themselves."


Meanwhile, coach Doc Rivers was busy complimenting Allen.


    "I think Tony Allen will have a breakout year," said Rivers. "I think he learned a lot, especially down the stretch. I thought the Indiana experience, even though for him it was probably horrific, was probably the best thing that's ever happened to him in his basketball life, going up against Reggie Miller and just watching that whole series, and how that thing evolved."


Speculation continued about a possible trade of Paul Pierce . Sources with connections to the team confirmed the Celtics prepared two ads to encourage fans to purchase season tickets one included Pierce and one didn't.


   "I had discussions with a lot of things, but I can't comment on trade rumors," said Ainge.


   West getting direction


In addition to Allen, the Celtics put the rest of their future front and center with Al Jefferson , Kendrick Perkins , Delonte West , and Justin Reed attending the draft party.


West is looking ahead to next season. "The coaching staff and I mapped out a game plan," he said. "I want to be as strong going to my right as I am going to my left. I definitely want to work on my penetration game, my drive-and-kick-game. The biggest thing is just going into the teeth of the defense, creating havoc and creating for my teammates."

Age no factor


First-round pick Gerald Green wouldn't have been affected by the new age limit for high school players. In the new collective bargaining agreement that goes into effect July 1, teams must draft players 19 or older. The 19-year-old Green would have been eligible regardless. Jefferson, who was 19 when he was drafted last year, said "It's really not any big difference. I still think it's not fair, but it could have been worse. It could have been 20 or 21." ... Red Auerbach did not attend this year's draft proceedings, not feeling 100 percent ... With such a young team next season, Rivers kidded, "We're going to win an NCAA title next year. Then, we'll keep getting better and hopefully we'll win the NBA title someday." ... The Cavaliers traded former Celtics small forward Jiri Welsch to the Bucks for a second-round pick next year.

No comments: