8.16.2017

Aging Guard Coming Off Double-Ankle Surgey Added to Defensively Challenged Team

June 29, 2007

If you have uncertainties about the Celtics trade for Ray Allen, you have company. Though ready to do what is necessary, the former All-Star didn't have an unabashed joy with the move.

``I think it's exciting,'' Allen said late last night. ``I'm excited about it. I won't say whether I like it or dislike it. It's a challenge for me. But, you know, people talk about being traded and I still get to play basketball and do the job I love.

``I'm excited to be going back East and playing for a franchise that's very rich in tradition.''

Whether the Celts' new setup with Allen and Paul Pierce on the wings will be rich in on-court chemistry remains to be seen, but Allen isn't dissuaded by the apparent lack of defensive strength in the expected lineup.

``I think basketball was meant to be played the way Phoenix plays the game,'' he said. ``You have a big guy get the rebound and get the ball out, and you try to beat the defense back and see who's in shape and who's out of shape. We'll have guys who can shoot long range and guys who can go to the hole. That gives Doc (Rivers) options.

``Defensively I've been part of teams that didn't have great individual defenders, but we relied on each other. You look at San Antonio and you give a nod to Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen, but they all cover for each other.''

Allen, who will turn 32 next month, sounds ready to cover for his new mates. Despite his impressive credentials and senior status, he is not coming in to take over.

``I think first and foremost with me coming into the fold I have to try to figure out what Doc wants and what Paul needs and what other guys need to make them better,'' he said. ``I can't come in thinking I'm just going to do my thing. That's a recipe for disaster. We've got to get to know each other and trust each other and allow everyone to do what they're capable of doing.''

Looking at the union with Pierce, Allen added, ``I think traditionally you look at certain players and try to fit us into certain molds - like a 2-guard who's 6-4 or 6-6 or 6-7. But basketball nowadays is so much different. You need guys who know how to play and who are unselfish and will make each other better. That's the perspective I take on it.

``I want to be able to take the pressure off Paul so he can score more easily, and he can do the same for me. That's how you want things to work out.''

Allen is coming off minor surgery to clear loose bodies from both his ankles. He went under the knife in early April and has been rehabbing.

``It's been going pretty well,'' he said. ``I haven't done anything too strenuous yet. I have to say I've been fortunate not to have anything too drastic go wrong with me. I think my ankles have been a wake-up sign. I was a bit stubborn and maybe I didn't sit down when I should have. But I'm paying a lot more attention to my body and staying ready now.''

In terms of being traded, Allen said he began getting ready for such an eventuality when the Sonics got the second position in the draft and moved into line to select Kevin Durant.

``I kind of take it in stride,'' Allen said. ``You could kind of see the way things were shaping up in Seattle. The team is going in a new direction. They're going to give the young guy (Durant) the ball every night, and maybe with me out there things wouldn't be the same for him.''

However the deal plays out on the court, things clearly won't be the same for the Celtics.

1 comment:

FLCeltsFan said...

I remember when they made that trade I was like "What???" I wondered what he had in mind signing an aging player with double ankle surgery no less. But, Danny knew what he was doing because Pierce, KG and Allen all fit together perfectly along with Rondo who was the right PG for that team and Perk who was the perfect center. It was the perfect storm :)