10.18.2017

Perkins is center of KG's attention

October 26, 2007

Some of his other teammates may have more glorious resumes, but Kevin Garnett has become a Kendrick Perkins fan for a number of reasons. He likes the way Perk plays, appreciates his intensity and, perhaps most important, enjoys staying away from the pivot.

Perkins was back practicing yesterday after three games off for rest and left hamstring rehab, and Garnett was pleased to see him. Asked how he liked playing center in Perkins' absence, Garnett said, ``Horrible. Horrible. But I'll do whatever Doc (Rivers) wants me to do. I've never been opposed to anything. But as much of a mismatch as I try to be, (Knicks center) Eddy Curry was a battle. It's no cupcake, no cheesecake, no cakewalk into the park when you're playing against him.

``I prefer wherever you need me to be, but if I could pick I'd be at the power forward position. If you need me to play center, then I can do that. There's not anything I can't do out here on the basketball court.''

Does that mean KG is making sure Perkins does his rehab?

``Oh, I'm making sure Perk gets up on time and he's there early (if) he needs extra ice,'' he said. ``If I have to ice him myself. . .''

Garnett then added, ``We've bonded real fast. I expected me, Paul (Pierce) and Ray (Allen) to bond, but we're still going through that. But Perk and I have no choice. We're responsible for the front line. We're the goalies. We're trying to protect that rim and protect that paint.''

The next center on the depth chart, Scot Pollard, was limited by his sore left ankle to work in the pool yesterday. He hopes to be practicing by the end of the weekend and to be available for the season opener a week from tonight.

``That's my personal goal,'' he said. ``I think the training staff would maybe disagree with that, but my personal goal is to be in a uniform with Doc Rivers having the ability to actually put my old (butt) in a game on Friday.''

No comments: