10.24.2017

Pierce Thanks McHale as C's Play T-Wolves

October 9, 2007

LONDON - The Timberwolves still were on the court when Kevin Garnett and the Celtics came into O2 Arena late yesterday morning. While a number of others were laughing and speaking with friends, Garnett walked to a chair and quietly got ready for practice.

Though there was no apparent anger in his actions, Garnett didn't go out of his way to mix with the crowd. As much as he gave his soul to the 'Wolves when he was in Minnesota, it seems fairly clear he has crossed fully to the Celtics' side.

``You know what's crazy is that the players, the coaches and a lot of the people that I grew with in Minnesota - a lot of the players are gone now,'' Garnett said after Kevin McHale came over for a handshake and momentary pleasantries. ``Obviously some of the minor people that people don't really know are still there, but teammates and a lot of people I knew there are gone. So it makes it a little easier when dealing with this. It makes it a little more easy just knowing a lot of people I did grow with are not there. Not to say that it is easy, but it makes it a little more easy.''

The Big Ticket really wasn't in much of a reflective mood as he saw his old team shooting around.

``You know what? I've just been really focusing on this year,'' he said. ``This has been like revival year for me. I'm just soaking it up, enjoying my new crew and haven't really thought about the past a lot, to be honest with y'all. I'm enjoying this journey right now. I'm enjoying this journey for the next five years. So that's the focus now.''

And if Garnett does have this year's Celtics-Timberwolves dates circled (Jan. 25 in Boston, Feb. 8 in Minnesota), he's not letting on.

``I'm looking forward to this season, not just one particular game,'' he said. ``I'm looking forward to this season and how we match up with a lot of different teams that have been together - Detroit, San Antonio. I'm looking forward to playing in Boston and having fun.''

Later, Doc Rivers was asked if the Celts could expect a guy who gave so much to one franchise to commit so deeply again.

``Yeah, we can,'' the coach said. ``We're just not going to have it as long. I played in one place for eight years, and when you leave, it's an adjustment. When you're in one place for that long, especially if you're one of the better players on that team, you're used to having things your way or you're used to having them done (a certain way). That takes some getting used to, as well. But he's been great. He's just been perfect. He's a good guy. Usually good guys tend to work things out.''

Celtics notes

McHale had an interesting response when asked about Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen being called the Big Three.

``I thought that was Ford, GM and Chrysler,'' said McHale, who teamed with Larry Bird and Robert Parish for the original trio.

``It took me a long time to realize they were talking about us when they used the term Big Three back then. . . . I just don't read the sports page.'' . . .

Scot Pollard still is working out his left ankle issues. Sent home last Friday, an MRI showed a bone bruise and soft tissue inflammation. He'll be checked again this Friday. . . .

Pierce let it be known he appreciates what Minnesota did for the Celtics in providing Garnett.

``I don't really know McHale too well, but I'll give him a thank you through the press,'' he said. . . .

No comments: